There are many benefits of a well-kept school: It provides a healthy and clean learning environment that positively affects everything from student education to staff satisfaction and the school’s reputation.
And what better time than the summer holidays to focus on getting your school into tip-top shape with some deep cleaning?
Summer is the ideal opportunity to tackle complex tasks overlooked in everyday cleaning routines in primary schools, secondary schools, and play schools.
When it comes time to return to the classroom, teachers, and students will enjoy a pleasant space that positively impacts their morale and productivity. Both students and teachers will be able to take pride in your school and feel comfortable at all times, thanks to your school cleaning efforts.
In this blog, we’ve recommended our top 5 tips for school cleaning during the summer holidays. Whether you’re enlisting the help of school cleaning services or undertaking the job solo, these are the best steps you can take toward a happy, healthy school environment.
1. Dust everything
When dust particles are breathed in, they can cause several health hazards, including irritation of the eyes, coughing, sneezing, hay fever, and even asthma attacks.
Dusting is particularly important in a deep school cleaning routine as children ingest more dust than adults and are more vulnerable to potential health effects.
Dust can gather on windowsills, door frames, skirting boards, behind furniture, and in many other overlooked areas around your school.
Thankfully, the summer holidays are the perfect time to tackle those annoying allergens as part of your school cleaning.
Tips for dusting:
- Dust before you hoover – While you dust, dust particles will fall downwards toward the floor. All your hard work will go to waste if you hoover the floor first.
- Move from the top down – Similarly, during your school cleaning, it’s a good idea to move from the top down to avoid dust particles falling on already-dusted surfaces.
- Use the right tools – A feather duster may look fancy, but it’s not nearly as effective as you think. For best results, use a damp, microfiber cloth.
- Pay special attention to electronics – Computers, TVs, DVD players, stereo equipment, and printers are notorious dust magnets.
2. Scrub floors
Believe us when we tell you a thorough floor scrubbing can completely transform a school’s facilities.
By the end of the school year, dust, dirt, grit, and grime will all leave a mark on your flooring and carpets and their levels of hygiene.
Summer is the best time to tackle floor cleaning and maintenance. You can clean floors and carpets quickly, effectively, and efficiently without heavy daily traffic.
Ongoing floor maintenance like carpet cleaning, stripping, scrubbing, and more can extend the life of your flooring and help it look its best.
You can enlist the help of professional cleaning services for more insight into how to maintain and care for the floors in your school.
From hallways and gyms to cafeterias and bathrooms, there are several types of floor surfaces in a typical school building. It’s helpful to list cleaning products and equipment needed for each floor surface. If you feel unsure about the cleaning products and equipment you should use, consider getting help from a professional school cleaner.
3. Disinfect electronics
Cleaning and disinfecting electronic equipment are essential parts of school cleaning for two reasons: to prevent the spread of illness-causing germs and to protect the equipment from damage.
The various electronics in your school require different cleaning techniques. Here are some helpful hygiene tips that professional cleaning services use to sanitise different electronics.
Cleaning a computer screen:
- Unplug and turn off the computer
- Wipe the screen with a clean, dry microfiber cloth
- Moisten the cloth with a small amount of distilled water. Use a damp, not wet, cloth
- Use the cloth to remove dirt and smudges
- Dry the screen with a fresh, dry cloth
Cleaning a computer keyboard:
- Unplug the keyboard from the computer and remove the batteries for wireless devices
- Turn the keyboard upside down and give it a shake
- Run a damp, lint-free cloth over the keys to remove dust and dirt
- If possible, use a can of compressed air to remove dirt from under the keys
- Dip a cotton bud in a small amount of disinfectant and run it between the keys
Cleaning a TV screen:
- Turn off and unplug the TV
- Use a clean, dry microfiber cloth to remove dust and smudges. Take care not to press on the screen. Always use a light touch
- Spot-clean tough marks with cleaning wipes designed for use on electronics
- Dry the screen with a microfiber cloth
4. Deep clean kitchen and toilet areas
With so much cooking daily in primary and secondary schools, it should be no surprise that school kitchens quickly pick up germs.
This is why deep cleaning these facilities as part of your school cleaning, or hiring a fully trained cleaning service, is important for protecting the health of your staff and students.
As your school’s kitchen is busy every day, summer is a great time to eliminate harmful bacteria that may be tricky to spot in the usually bustling space.
Keep your school kitchen facilities clean with the following cleanliness steps:
- Clean appliances and equipment such as ovens, fridge units, fryers, and grills
- Dust light fixtures, exhaust hoods, and vents
- Scrub floors, walls, and ceilings
- Clean sinks
- Wash furniture
- Sanitise hard surfaces and countertops with quality cleaning products
- Declutter storage areas
- Don’t forget about window cleaning
- Hire professional cleaning services
Likewise, if a child does not have access to safe and hygienic toilets that meet standard cleaning requirements, it can cause them to become ill.
Keep your school toilets to a high standard with the following cleaning steps:
- Dust light fixtures, vents, and skirting boards
- Sanitise door handles, hand dryers, bins, soap dispensers, and toilet roll holders
- Wash mirrors from top to bottom using a microfibre cloth
- Scrub sinks and toilets
- Wash floors, walls, and ceilings
- Window cleaning
- Maintain cleanliness by hiring a fully trained, professional cleaning team
5. Invest in professional school cleaning services
School cleaning can be difficult and time-consuming, especially if you don’t have the right tools or cleaning products.
But when you decide to enlist the help of professional school cleaning services, it can be a real game-changer.
Outsourcing school cleaning services can help keep your school hygienically clean year-round.
From dusting and scrubbing to disinfecting and polishing, the summer break is the perfect time to give your school a deep clean with the help of school cleaning services.
When all the cleaning is completed, you’ll have the joy of welcoming students back to a clean and healthy learning environment with high hygiene standards.
Cleaning Contractors offers dedicated, reliable, and trustworthy school cleaning services if you want some help tackling your school’s deep cleaning this summer.
Our professional cleaners are trained to provide only the best school cleaning services and can offer a range of specialist equipment and supplies to suit the needs of primary schools, secondary schools, and pre-schools.
We’re proud to be one of Ireland’s largest commercial cleaning services. We have over 30 years of experience offering quality school cleaning services to educational facilities in the Dublin school district and beyond.
Whether you require once-off cleaning services or are interested in hiring school cleaning services to attend your educational establishments regularly – we have what you need.
We’d love to provide school cleaning services for you! Get in touch with us today to get started.